Wednesday, February 22, 2017

New Orleans - February 22, 2017

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

We awoke just like everyday, but today it was an uncharacteristically brisk February day.  We all filed in and out of the showers, while having eggs, cereal, and oatmeal for breakfast. We hopped in the cars, eager for another day at Chahta-Ima. Once we arrived there we received our ID’s and we walked to our regular classrooms and began our day.


I (Fitgee) began my day with physical education. I played a modified game of bowling with the kids in my third grade class. After about hour of PE we returned to the classroom with Ms. Gillari. Ms. Gillari presented the children in my class with numerous worksheets testing what they learned in the previous day.  With a small amount of help from me this process went smoothly and the class went off to lunch and recess.  After recess the class returned and began to focus upon math and social studies.  This time around the process did not go as smoothly. The children needed more help with math than any other subject. It was quite challenging, but it proved to be very rewarding, when one teaches an eight-year-old some of the fundamentals of PEMDAS. After the final bell rang I said my final goodbyes to the students, with plenty of hugs and high-fives and began 21st Century, the after school program.

I (Aidan) spent all of my day working with the P.E. teacher. We played an adjusted form of bowling, where they used soccer balls and beanbags to knock down the pins. I had many breaks today, and I spent my first one playing basketball in the gym. After the next class, I spent a lot of time talking with the teacher. He was telling me that he is soon to be married, as well as the differences between Boston and Louisiana. Next, I went and had the school lunch, which was surprisingly good. I got to eat with a few fellow students as well as a lot of little kids. Then our group went to the gym and played a little more basketball then went out to recess. After lunch, I spent the rest of the day bowling with the students.




In the multipurpose room! 

After we all went and tutored at 21st Century, we all went to the outdoor basketball courts. Once our game was over, we tried to go visit a bayou but it closed right before we arrived. So we went home and started to clean the house, as we leave the North Shore Thursday morning.




Fitgee Jean-Pierre and Aidan Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment